Saturday, May 17, 2014

MYST POST #5: That Awkward Moment

                                                            That Awkward Moment
So this weekend my sister was watching High School Musical on Disney Channel, and I happened to glance at the screen a few times... and maybe it was nostalgia that hit me, or the middle schooler in me was seeking the perfect opportunity to resurface, but I wanted to watch a movie with none other than Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) and see how the actor has changed. Needless to say, I was thoroughly disappointed by the movie I chose to watch. According to Rotten Tomatoes, I should have considered myself warned before I decided to throw away almost 2 hours of my life watching, That Awkward Moment.  The movie was absolutely everything I hate in modern day movies. There was no substance, the acting was sub par, the plot was complete trash, and the whole movie depicted nothing other than sex, and foul language.
                                                                     

The movie starts off with the main character Jason (Zac Efron) sitting on a park bench talking about how he doesn't believe in relationships and would rather live the single bachelor life. (How many times have we seen this plot before?) And surpise, suprise, the impossible happens and he falls in love, blah blah blah, ending the movie with him sitting on the same park bench contemplating the value and meaning of relationships. Personally, I think this movie was a perfect example of Hollywood's shallow attempt at making an entertaining movie and trying to throw in something meaningful and moral in at the end...and like most times, it completely failed. They hired an A-list actor, and hoped that would draw in the audience, and then threw in the 2 hours of uneventful comedy and tried to tie it all together with something that can only be explained as a poor excuse of a moral message.
                                           
The camera work in the movie was a lot of close ups surprisingly. I didn't expect that because it was more of comedy and it was the type of movie you'd watch being aired for the first time on TV, and not in theaters. Personally, I don't understand why it was ever shown in theaters when a story-line as overdone and horribly executed should barely have the right to be on TV. But Zac Efron played the role pretty well, personally I think he is a good actor. However, this movie surprised me, because of his previous movies such as, High School Musical, Charlie st. Cloud, Seventeen Again, and Hairspray, he's always played a very kid friendly type of role, and he's never really appeared like an older actor to me. However, in this movie he is the farthest thing from Disney. (Which surprisingly enough happens to all Disney stars.) Miles Teller plays his best friend  in the movie, and fellow womanizer, Daniel who I wasnt surprised at all by the role he played, some of his previous movies are, 21 and over and Project X, which fall into the same category of shallow films with a loosely interpreted message at the end.
                                                                    

Overall, I personally give this movie two thumbs down, and it appears most critics and audience members do too. I wouldn't waste my time watching a bad remake of every friends with benefits movie ever made that's turned into a sappy romance. Coming from the perspective of a girl who is supposed to enjoy movies like this, that make us think (ah, so guys do have feelings and emotions too), I thought this movie was just horrible, and I don't understand why anyone would fund a movie like this. Save your money, and your former opinion of Zac Efron in the High School Musical era, and don't watch this movie.

4 comments:

  1. Nice review Zory. I was almost forced to watch this a few days ago with some friends, but we ended up watching a different movie. Based on your review, I guess that was a good choice. I tend to stay away from rom-coms and this type of movie, only really enforces my rather low opinion of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review Zory, i was going to do this as a review! I on the other hand thought it was a pretty decent movie, predictable yes, but still "cute". It was better than most teen movies but yes it was very clique and did have an over used plot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job, Zory! I was going to see this movie at one point too because of Zac Efron, but maybe I won't anymore. The plot does sound a bit overdone and it does fit into what we just learned about the movie industry in class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you stuck with reviewing the film despite the fact that you clearly didn't like it — it is hard to try and look at a shallow movie in an analytical way, but you did well. Seems pretty horrible, and i'm glad I can completely steer clear of it from now on. I thought that Zac Efron was trying to break away from these cutesy characters as he matured as an actor, but…maybe that's just where he is comfortable. I feel like he has the potential to do more with the development of his career, though.

    ReplyDelete